I had a few fond memories celebrating Christmas. The first time I remember when I was in primary school. My late uncle Maulud took us children to a Christmas party at his office, the Rubber Research Institute at Jalan Ampang, Kuala Lumpur. I don't remember what we did but I do remember the beautiful little toy porcelain tea-set shaped in Santa Clause's head I received as a Christmas present. Another time in Secondary School, we had this Eurasian family as friends. Their children attended the same classes as Alang and I did. We were quite good friends. So one Christmas, Elaine and Eveyette invited us to a Christmas party at their home in Klebang Besar. I remember having to practice the 'tarian lilin' before that because I had to present an item for their family Christmas concert during the party. We received presents too. I think I was given a doll.
Much later when I was studying in USA, I was invited by my friend's family to celebrate Christmas at their home in Huntington, Long Island, New York. Naturally I was thrilled because at that time, foreign students were seldom invited to American homes. Susan, Tom and I left West Hartford for Huntington a few days before Christmas to prepare for the great day. There was a lot of secret buying and wrapping of presents. We hanged Christmas stockings at the fireplace for Santa to put in some presents. I had one too. We put up and decorated the Christmas tree with silver tinsels, sugar candies, and all the glittering deco and little lights. Finally they put an angel at the top of the tree. When the light was switched on, the tree looked so grand... Presents were arranged at the foot of the tree.
On Christmas eve, everyone dressed up. I put on my red, velvet baju kurong (red - very appropriate for Christmas, ya) and dangling gold-coloured necklace. The orang putih were oohs and aahs! Then we had the Christmas dinner with roast chicken and cranberry sauce plus the Christmas pudding. (I remember I tak selera makan ....) Only family and very close friends were invited. After dinner we adjourned to the basement where there was a short concert. Naturally I was asked to perform 'something from your country'. So I did the tarian lilin and everybody was thrilled. You know before my arrival, this family had not even heard of Malaysia. So the globe was taken out and I pointed out the whereabouts of Malaysia. Before midnight, I followed them to Church (just curious nak tenguk). The church's interior was decorated with lots of red poinsettias, their Christmas plant.
I joined them when they sang Christmas carols and hymns (better than sitting doing nothing, kan). Well, being an ex-Convent girl, I know most of them by heart. When it came the part of the sermon, I dozed off z..z..z....(it was getting very very late ma!). I felt Mom Cindy nudging me to wake up because the pastor, she said, was looking at me in between his sermon!
After the service, we went home just as the snow was falling lightly to the ground. It was some experience! Of course the next morning everyone in the house got up late. Ginger, the youngest in the family, was the first to rush to the Christmas tree to see what Santa had brought for us during the night. All of us were in our pyjamas and house-coats (tak mandi lagi). Presents were exchanged and opened. I received many presents even my stocking was stuffed to the brim with little neccessities like panties, socks and the like. Cindy was thrilled with the patchwork pillow I made for her. The others received souveniers from Malaysia. I was so happy to be able to experience a real Christmas with my American family and I will cherish the happy moments forever in my heart. Thank you Susan and family.

No comments:
Post a Comment