Friday, May 21, 2010

Can I be like her?

As I was sorting and packing the stuff to move, I found this plaque, size about 17 cm x 22 cm, tucked among the numerous paraphernalia laid hidden in the cupboard. Ah yes . . . it brought back fond memories of my late Mother, Hajah Khadijah bte Undah. And I stopped to ponder. Mak received this commemorative plaque for A Cleanliness and Beautification Competition held in 1992 in Melaka. Our house was chosen for second place in the "Kampung House" category. Actually Mak told me she didn't enter any competition, but one evening an official came while she was weeding the grass and tending to her garden. He announced to her that her house was chosen for the competition. Of course Mak was pleasantly surprised and very soon she received a letter inviting her to the prize-giving ceremony at a Hotel.

Mak was a meticulous person in whatever she did, from sewing, embroidery, cooking to house keeping. I noticed she had an artistic streak in her. And it was no surprise that she got a place in the Beautiful House Competition. AlFatihah for Mak. We miss you tremendously.

Mak's house in mid 1960's

. . . . and this in 1999

2 comments:

Pak Tuo said...

Al.Fatiha.Yes Mak Tuo is a very neat always with her genuine smile and Kebaya.
Remembered her well.

Hjh Nazli Abbas said...

Thank you for remembering your Mak Tuo.