Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Time to do my duty!

Lunch time just now, a friend informed that the Prime Minister has dissolved Parliament. That means before long will be 'polling day' - the General Election. Each time when polling day comes, I would be one of the early ones to line up at the Durian Daun Primary School to do my duty as a registered voter. I am ashamed to admit that I did not cast my vote until I was about 40 years old i.e. after I was forced to attend a week-long course organized by the 'Biro Tatanegara' - a civics course especially designed for teacher educators. I remember, after it dawned on me what I had missed all this while, I cried my eyes out for my people, for my country. I cried because I had not been a good citizen of my country. I cried because I had taken things for granted. I cried because I had been care less. So from thence onwards I vowed to open my heart to those who had been very supportive of me in pursuing my career until I am what I am today. Even in my retirement I still enjoy all the benefits without much effort to say the least. Sorry if I sound sentimental but even as I'm jotting this, tears are brimming in my eyes. Thank you, Malaysia, I really love you. Come polling day, I'll be there for you.


1 comment:

Hjh Nazli Abbas said...

Zizi, my next generation,

Remember to register as a voter when you reach 21. And also remember and respect all those who have helped you all along. Most of all syukur to Allah.

Thanks for visiting.
All the best to you.