Wednesday, March 11, 2009

In Reverse


Coming home one evening, I was attracted to the scribbles on my white-board. The culprit was Iddin, the little hero of the house. Iddin is 6 years 4 months old and attends Year One in St Francis Institution (SFI). They were not scribbles actually but the Arabic 'alphabets'. Iddin had just started learning Arabic and was happily exhibiting his skills all over the house. What tickled me was the way his scripts were written. I think it is a case of "dyslexia" which is characterised by reversable shapes. His Roman letterings are normal though. In Arabic, one writes from right to left. But Iddin wrote his Arabic 'ABC' from left to right. And then many shapes were written reversable! I think it's so quaint. I'd better cherish it before Iddin cleans it off the white-board.



THE SCRIPT



THE SCRIPT-WRITER

4 comments:

louis said...

Given that Americans find it difficult to learn a second language, even one like Spanish that uses pretty much the same alphabet as English, it would seem to be a daunting task to learn a second language that uses an entirely different alphabet and sequence (right to left).
My admiration and congratulations to Iddin for his motivation and achievement.

Pak Tuo said...

Salam Cikgu,

Been a while tak ziarah,re:jes a quest.I know some collection are of sentimental value.I realise from your previous posting and I remember you were the host of our Children programme back in the 70's.I watch it too,Thought I was already of adolenses age but still I do watch the programme.

My enquiry is are you willing to depart with the drawing.I am looking for a birthday present for my cucu Adam.
Pleased find the link here:
http://www.panglimaadam.blogspot.com.I am willing to cover the said cost.I tresure such mememorial pices Cikgu.
You could drop me a line via my email or my hp.I still do have your number in my mem.
Pleased cikgu.Will appreciated it greatly.

Keep writing Cikgu and updates loves the nostalgic feel at times.

Wassalam.

Wir

Pak Tuo said...

Yes,I have change the Porfolia from Pak Tuo to Adam,but two diffrence blog but one blog administrator.

Wir@Pak Tuo@Adam

LANN said...

wow iddin! keep it up!