Sunday, February 22, 2009

A Word About Books

A posting here prompted me to have a word about the topic being discusssed.

My late father was a well-known owner of a popular bookshop during his time. My family lived in the first storey of the shop until I left to further my tertiary education in Australia. So you can imagine books were all over the place all the time. I remember after the shop closed for the night and after I had done my homework, I would get myself lost among the book shelves, reading and looking at pictures in the new books, carefully turning the pages so as not to soil them - mainly Malay and Indonesian books. Even Atlases intrigued me! I suppose that was how my interest in books started. I soon collected books on my own - Fine Arts books, Craft books, Art Education books mainly pertaining to my area of teaching. I also loved reading non-fiction books especially biographies. Books are expensive here but I'd rather spend money on them than on expensive clothings. So much so long time ago, I remember telling my family and friends, if anything disastrous should happen to the house, the first thing I'd save would be my books.

Upon retirement, with a very heavy heart, I donated most of my Fine Arts and Art Education books to the Teachers College nearby. They would have more use to them than I now. I still have a quite a collection of books - now it's Arabic and religion plus my favourite craft books. Although I can get lots of information from the Internet, I buy a book or two now and then. There's nothing like holding a book in your hand. I don't have a library but books are all over the house - my bedroom especially, outside on the porch, in the living area - everywhere.
YES! I LOVE BOOKS.

3 comments:

JH said...

hi hajjah naz,
Sorry this is not about books. But just wondering if you received my email about a documentary? I sent it on 20th Feb. Anyway, I'll resend the email just in case you haven't received it.
I'm going for a shoot in Melaka town Saturday evening and whole of Sunday (28 Feb& 1 march), if you don't mind my team and I would like to speak with you about Melaka. The details in my email.
My email address:
johana.hassan@gmail.com
Thanks.

louis said...

Must have been a sheer delight to have your Father's bookstore all to yourself after it closed for the night!

After seeing your Monet-like picture of what I presume is a city street after a heavy rain, I have one more reason to like those heavy rain showers in Malaysia.

Hjh Nazli Abbas said...

Louis, guess again!