Friday, February 13, 2009

Those were the days


Watching "Tom Tom Bak" the popular local children's program on TV, compered by the famous TV personality, Aznil Hj. Nawawi, brings to mind the days when I was just as popular on TV. That was a very long time ago when colour TV was about to be introduced here.

It all started in 1977 when Hyacinth Leo from TV Malaysia (there was only one TV station then) visited the Teachers' College where I was teaching to get some imput and suggestions as to a new children's program she was about to produce. I was given the task to list out 26 Art activities for children between 7 and 12 years old. A week later when I submitted my suggestions, she asked me whether I could be at the recording studio to do a demonstration. Nervously I went and had my first experience having my face thickly made-up. (No wonder they look beautiful on the TV screen!). There were 3 cameras, no audience except for the camera-men and I had to speak as though there were children in front of me. Some time later I was called again this time to preview the recording with the Minister in charge of broadcasting to get his approval. Boy, was I embarassed to see myself on TV and to hear my 'squeaky' voice. Slowly I slid down the seat so that nobody would notice me! Then he said, "OK, let her do it." Hey . . . I didn't plan it this way. But come to think of it, I could reach children all over the country and from then onwards it was history. Every Wednesday after work, to Angkasapuri I went with my Art stuff. I had 2 series - one "Putera Puteri" in black and white lasting 26 weeks and another one two years later "Cumi & Ciki" in colour, especially for the pre-schoolers. In the later programe, I also did puppetry and story-telling besides art and craft. All in all, I was on TV from 1977 to 1984.

I began to enjoy what I was doing, get to meet people outside the Teachers College. And above all I was recognized by most people wherever I went. Once I was at a road-side market, wanting to buy some flowers. On hearing my voice, the young Chinese lady lifted her head and at once recognised me, mentioning excitedly that she and her children liked my program. On other occasions when I had to observe my students at their teaching-practices in schools, children shyly looked at me and smiled. At the shopping centres too, parents would approach me with their kids. That was about 30 years ago! But even now when people hear my voice (which I thought once was 'squeaky') they would recall and would ask me to confirm. Once I was in the plane, the steward upon recognizing me, was so excited saying that when he was young he was one of my fans! Before departing he handed me a bag filled with all sorts of goodies and momentos.

Children would send me their art pieces which I would show on the TV screen. I still keep some of them to remind me that once I was a popular TV personality. And here are some of them. The artists by now are adults with children of their own and I often wonder where they are now.
Nornizam Shadan - 5 , from Kota Kinabalu, Sabah

Rozihani Baizura - 5, from Klang, Selangor

Norhuda Azman - 6, from Pekan, Pahang

Azwan Bin Awadz, 6 - from Kemaman, Trengganu

Nazlyn Binti Baharudin, 6 - from Kuala kubu Baru, Selangor

Erna Salwana, 6 - from Alor Setar, Kedah

Syabanlina Binti Miskam, 4 1/2 - from Kelana Jaya, Selangor

Noraida Hayati Binti Abu Bakar, 6 - from Taman Keramat, Kuala Lumpur

Suhaka Ahmad, 6 - from Kluang, Johor

6 comments:

alamanda said...

hai aunty.
mak and pat and the whole family wish you a happy belated birthday.
semoga aunty sentiasa sihat dan comel. huhuhu.

alamanda said...

cerita cumi ciki tu, kita la penonton nombor satu nye tau. huhuhu

Hjh Nazli Abbas said...

Thanks Pat and Maknya. Tak de present ke orang punya birthday?

JH said...

oh my god, were you kak ann on tv? I remember watching cumi and cuki.

Hjh Nazli Abbas said...

Dear JH,

Surprise ha? Thanks for visiting.

nor said...

aah the monkeys - Cumi dan Ciki then craft later with abng Jo also. The programme was shown ptg dlm pukul 3-4 approx. Selalu ponteng sekolah ugama ptg nak tengok that.