Friday, January 21, 2011

NEWSPAPER - RECYCLED

Just returned from attending a short course in KL organized by the Women's Institution on how to make this craft. Looks like rattan baskets, don't they? Actually, strips of newspaper were rolled into very thin cylindrical "sticks" and then woven as you would in basketry. As you go along, you join the paper "sticks" (sorry I don't know what to call it!) until you get the shape you wanted. I had problem joining the paper sticks. The next step is to touch-up the pieces with lacquer or paint. Once they are lacquered, the papers become stiff. The two baskets on the left in the picture are in their natural state - newspaper. And the dark coloured ones are painted. Now, the next big problem is I have to master the technique so that I can in turn pass this craft to the members in my locality, in preparation for a competition. It's not merely teeny weeny baskets, mind you. Oh no! A 10 inches diameter sewing basket PLUS (mind you PLUS) COVER! Will I be able to it? So that's my BIG challenge for now. I'll keep you posted of my progress . . . . wish me luck, folks!

No comments: