Hi there! Meet Shaukani, my brother, the tourist guide - No, not the one with the pot-belly, ok? He is much younger than me. In fact I was his class teacher during his first year in high school (gosh . . he didn't like that at all then!) Anyway, back to the tourist-guide thing. Shau (his name for short) has been at it for almost 20 years I think and enjoying every minute of it, I should say. I envy him because he has been to many places, local and overseas, accompanying groups of tourists, meeting people from all walks of life, getting to know their culture and sometimes strange mannerisms. He has been travelling by air, on cruise ships, on land, into the Malaysian jungle, up the mountain . . . Sometimes he has his up and down moments dealing with people. But over all, he is very lucky to have to travel for free, stay in the best hotels and eat the finest food (true or false, Shau?) - all for free mind you, and getting paid for it! But I understand it's very tiring managing the luggage, the guests, seeing to the ticketing etc. Sometimes he gets to meet fine folks, at other times not so pleasant. But Shau has to be patient all the time. He is a good guide (promo!) and well-informed.
Peep to his blog here http://shaukaniabbas.slide.com/ , and enjoy his many snapshots. Good job, Shau, keep it up.
2 comments:
I must confess to envying travel professionals for establishing a career in which they are paid to do what I consider one of life's most delightful activities, travel. Of course, as you mentioned there are those unpleasant times when dealing with unreasonable people, and every tour group I have been in has had one or two of those.
I have looked at his website. Beautiful and informative photos. I particularly liked the format he chose to display Amal's drawings.
Re your item on the Malacca Water Gate, the structures reminded me of the Panama Canal which I transited in my cruiseship recently.
Yes, with those people like us who have the travel bug in us, must surely envy such people who get to see the world for free - like those also whom we see doing travel documentaries on TV. My favourite TV personality would be Ian Wright with his quiant English and naive appearance.
The Melaka water gate is nothing compared to the gigantic Panama canal! :-)
Thanks for your comments, Louise.
Post a Comment